If the approval of fellow travellers wasn’t enough, here are five more reasons to visit Turkey’s capital.
1) Istanbul is the only city in the world to straddle two continents – the bustling Bosphorus River divides Europe and Asia
2) Unesco describes Topkapi Palace as one of the finest remaining examples of the Ottoman Empire
3) There are few more vibrant and exhilarating shopping experiences than bargaining at the city’s Grand Bazaar, one the largest and historic covered markets in the world
4) Overlooking one of the world’s most charismatic cityscapes from the vantage point of the Galata Tower
5) Having the ills of the world scraped, kneaded and pummelled from your body at a hamam (Turkish bath)
* Previous winners have been Porto (2012), Copenhagen (2011) and Lisbon (2010)
Written by insider city guide series Hg2 | A Hedonist’s guide to…