Brits still taking holidays despite crunch

Welcome to Cheapflights

The simple way to find cheap flights and hotels from all your favourite travel companies

Brits who are worried about the recession will cut back on almost anything except for their prized summer holidays, a new study by easyJet has shown.

The research found that seven out of ten people cannot bring themselves to give up their fortnight in the sun, opting instead for a raft of penny-scrimping tactics.

First for the chop is take-away coffee, with 88 per cent of respondents saying they could happily do without their morning injection of caffeine.

A further 72 per cent voiced willingness to cut back on nights out with friends, while a similar proportion leant towards taking a packed lunch to work.

Commenting on the findings, easyJet spokesman Paul Simmons said: “People are definitely assessing their spending habits and looking at ways to make their pennies go further in 2009.”

He concluded: “The survey demonstrates that people are cutting back on everyday luxuries to ensure they can still fund their annual summer holiday.”

Among those still planning a break, 60 per cent have already booked their trip while the remaining 40 per cent are holding out for a last-minute deal.

Brits still taking holidays despite crunch was last modified: December 19th, 2014 by Oonagh Shiel
Author: Oonagh Shiel (3400 posts)

Content Manager at Cheapflights whose travel life can be best summed up as BC (before children) and PC (post children). We only travel during the school holidays so short-haul trips and staycations are our specialities!