A coffee fan who loves to travel? There’s no better way of taking the pulse of a city than by having a cup of its coffee.
Our Cheapflights Coffee infographic is for travellers who don’t know a Flat White from a Red Eye and it’s stuffed full of fascinating facts about our daily grind.
Here’s a few quick facts that’ll make you think:
- On average, American coffee drinkers consume 3.5 cups per day.
- Seattle has 10 times more coffee shops PER PERSON than the rest of the USA.
- In the 1920s, coffee stalls were removed from the streets due to their assocations with crime.
- You won’t spend hours in an Italian coffee bar. Drink standing up and then go.
- In the south of Italy, short and strong espressos are popular. In the north of the country milky coffees are popular.
- When in Rome – or any other part of Italy – drink milky coffee in the morning and NEVER after a meal.
- Germany is the second-highest importer of coffee in the world. The USA is Number 1.
- The British introduced coffee to Malaysia in the 1800s. There, in tune with local tastes, it’s served thick and sweet with condensed milk.
- Irish coffee (with whiskey and cream) was invented in 1942; a way to cheer up passengers during a bout of bad weather.
- Why do people live so long on the Greek island of Ikaria? Researchers say it’s down to drinking a cup of coffee every day.