As we approach the end of another year, the travel experts at online holiday and flight search site, Cheapflights.co.uk, have compiled their list of the Top 15 Weirdest Web Search Referrals of 2013.
The list is made up of searches by internet users via a number of popular search engines, before they reach Cheapflights.co.uk.
Ranging from the polite to the rude, the specific to the obscure, the optimistic to the curious – and, occasionally, the downright odd – the searches make up just a small fraction of more than 100 million people who visited Cheapflights sites last year; but demonstrate people’s passion for travel and online flight bargains.
Cheapflights spokesman Ben Rosier said: “Our look at the weirdest searches of 2013 has thrown up an interesting mix of travel topics; from ticket prices for pampered pets, to striking French air traffic controllers – and even where you can legally go topless in public.
“Brits are always keen to bag a bargain, particularly given the economic climate, but the person who put 23 ‘verys’ before ‘cheap flights’ to try to get a better price was keener than most – although maybe not the user who searched for ‘the most cheapest flights ever to Kenya…really cheap’!”
“This year, with an eye on low-cost airline charges, web users were busy checking costs; whether the on-board booze is free – and fees for luggage and carry-on extras in the cabin; including cats, dogs and, in one case, a 42-inch TV. The language is occasionally a little colourful, but we’re only too happy to help people find a bargain flight, however they choose to describe it!”
The 2013 Top 15 list of weird search referrals (searches before users reach Cheapflights.co.uk) as voted by our panel of travel search experts:
- “Please internet find me a cheap flight from London Heathrow to Marrakech”
- “Places in the US where it is legal for women to go topless in public”
- “Very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very cheap flight to Sharm el Sheikh”
- “Can you check in a 42-inch TV on the American Virgin airline plane?”
- “The most cheapest flights ever to Kenya from London in July – really cheap”
- “Cheapest direct flight to BKK [Bangkok] and please no bullsh*t”
- “Is there any way I can find a way to fly across country and bring my two cats onboard with me?”
- “What is the cost of a one-way flight for dogs on Southwest Airlines?”
- “Really cheap flights to Paris near the Eiffel Tower”
- “What can you do if air traffic control in France are on strike and you have no money to get home?”
- “Who the f*** flies from the UK to Mongolia”
- “Is Holland really that flat?”
- “Cheap return tickets London Heathrow to Manila Philippines cheapest ticket please cheapest”
- “If I just turn up to Manchester Airport on a Saturday morning how much can I get a last-minute seat to Amsterdam for?”
- “Does Air New Zealand serve complimentary wine on their flight from LAX [Los Angeles] to Rarotonga?”
(Featured image: Jenifer Corrêa)