The climate in northern Florida tends to be temperate and subtropical in the southern end. Compared to other US states Florida experiences the most extremes in temperature. Tropical showers are frequent from March to May when the weather is warm. It gets extremely hot and humid from late May to September. Travellers should be aware that hurricane season runs from June to November throughout the state so there is a possibility that flights to Florida and their schedules may be affected.
When to fly to Florida
From October all the way through to April is the high tourist season in Florida, in particular Orlando. In northern Florida summer is peak season. The UK school holidays (half-terms in October and February, Easter holidays and the summer hols) are also high season so it may be difficult to find a cheap flight during this time due to demand.
June to September is, in general, low season. However, the demand for the theme parks from UK families enjoying the school holidays means you have to shop around for cheap flights to Florida.
Search and compare: cheap flights to Florida
Getting around Florida
With the money saved on a cheap flight to Florida hire a car and treat yourself to a fun road trip. This is the best way to really explore the state. Public transportation is available in some cities but it’s a good idea to check their schedules ahead of time. Flying between cities is another good option for those who prefer not to drive long distances.
Florida is a cyclist’s dream. In central Florida there are coastal bike paths and flat long-distance trails.
Florida insider information
- Families love visiting Orlando, Kissimmee, and Lake Buena Vista, home to the world’s biggest theme parks including Disney World, Busch Gardens, Wet N’ Wild and Sea World.
- Fort Lauderdale was a popular retreat in the 60s and 70s for college students but is today a buzzing port that draws yacht owners and major cruise lines to its upscale shopping and renowned restaurants. Its beaches are warm and the weather is nearly always perfect.
- If you’re looking for miles of pristine beaches and islands then head to Fort Myers on Florida’s west coast. Here sports enthusiasts can enjoy outdoor activities from exploring wildlife preserves to fishing. Baseball fans can watch the Red Sox or Twins spring training.
- Synonymous with wild parties and spring break, Daytona Beach on the east coast plays host to a number of popular events like the Daytona 500 stock-car race, Bike Week, and the Fall Cycle Scene. But if racing doesn’t entice you then its beautiful beaches and golf courses are sure to.
- Daytona’s neighbour, New Smyrna Beach, is quieter and has a staggering 13-mile beach front. Known throughout the world as the “safest bathing beach” thanks to its offshore rock ledges that counteract the dangerous undercurrents. It also has excellent year-round deep sea fishing.
- Orlando theme park tickets are best bought while you're still in the UK, to snap up any early-bird savings.