We work with more than 300 partners to bring you better travel deals
Cheap flights to South Dakota
|Cheapest price||£997||From London to Deadwood|
Which day is cheapest to fly to South Dakota?
The cheapest flights to South Dakota are usually found when departing on a Wednesday. The departure day with the highest cost at present is Tuesday.
What time of day is cheapest to fly?
South Dakota flights can be made cheaper if you choose a flight in the evening. Booking a flight in the morning will likely mean higher prices.
Of all the Plains states, South Dakota has the most to offer visitors, principally in the pine-covered Black Hills mountain range. A sacred site to the Sioux, to white settlers it represented something very different – a rich source of gold. Deadwood is the most famous of the gold rush towns that sprang up illegally. Once home to the hell-raising Calamity Jane, Wyatt Earp and Wild Bill Hickok, it’s now a perfectly preserved National Historic Landmark.
Southeast of here stands the iconic Mount Rushmore, where the faces of presidents George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln stare out sternly, oblivious to the crowds of snap-happy tourists. Worth seeing, too, are the crystal-lined Jewel Cave, the lunar landscape of the Badlands National Park, and the wildlife haven that is Custer State Park, with its 1,500-strong herd of wild buffalo and “begging burros” – hungry donkeys that hustle tourists for food shamelessly.
Some 80km away in Wounded Knee, where the Sioux were massacred, the Wounded Knee Museum in Wall recounts the sad story.
Search and compare: cheap flights to South Dakota
As a Great Plains state, South Dakota has an interior continental climate with hot summers and cold winters. Summer temperatures can reach the high-20s (Celsius) and winter can be well below zero. Sioux Falls averages 104cm (41 inches) of snowfall annually, but there is less snow further north, and the northwest can get less than one foot of snow.On the northern fringe of tornado alley, South Dakota’s twisters are mostly in the eastern part of the state, sometimes in the central region, and rarely in the western part of the state. Spring is the peak tornado season.
Summer is the peak season for visiting. This is when most visitors step off their flights to South Dakota. The attractions and outdoor activities are in full swing; visitors flock to the Badlands and to the Black Hills with Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse Memorial. Summer is also busy with Native American powwows, historical celebrations, volksmarches, and rodeos.
The fishing season lasts year-round, with some exceptions.
If you want to see the attractions but not the crowds, try the spring and autumn. However, off-season traffic is on the rise, so make reservations in advance.
The winters are generally too harsh for most of the outdoor attractions and activities.
You will need a car to get around South Dakota, or, if you are going to the more popular destinations, consider joining a tour group. There is limited bus service in the state, and the historic trains just run short routes. Driving is also your best bet even in Sioux Falls, and parking is plentiful.
Hiking, biking, and horseback riding are other ways of getting around, along with boating on the Missouri River, and motorcycles.
Find the best prices for you!
Prices found by our users for local departures to South Dakota
Other local departures to South Dakota
Airport for South Dakota
Cheapest flights to United States
Popular flight searches
Check out other popular destinations found by fellow travellers
- Flights from Heathrow to Los Angeles
- Flights from London to Bali
- Flights from London to Chicago
- Flights from Gatwick to New York
- Flights from Heathrow to South Africa
- Flights from Newcastle to Florida
- Flights from Teesside to Amsterdam
- Flights from Bristol to Palma de Mallorca
- Flights from Birmingham to Sydney
- Flights from Heathrow to Mumbai
International departures to South Dakota
Popular cities in United States
- Cheap flights to Miami
- Cheap flights to Santa Ana
- Cheap flights to New York
- Cheap flights to Salisbury
- Cheap flights to Reno
- Cheap flights to Orlando
- Cheap flights to McGhee Tyson
- Cheap flights to Tampa
- Cheap flights to Los Angeles
- Cheap flights to Phoenix
- Cheap flights to William P. Hobby
- Cheap flights to Redmond
- Cheap flights to Las Vegas
- Cheap flights to Pensacola
- Cheap flights to Flagstaff
Popular places in United States
- Cheap flights to New York State
- Cheap flights to Florida
- Cheap flights to California
- Cheap flights to Nevada
- Cheap flights to Texas
- Cheap flights to District of Columbia
- Cheap flights to Illinois
- Cheap flights to Massachusetts
- Cheap flights to New Jersey
- Cheap flights to Georgia
- Cheap flights to North Carolina
- Cheap flights to Tennessee
- Cheap flights to Hawaii
- Cheap flights to Pennsylvania
- Cheap flights to Ohio
- Cheap flights to Arizona
- Cheap flights to Michigan
- Cheap flights to Colorado
- Cheap flights to Washington
- Cheap flights to Minnesota
- Cheap flights to Louisiana
- Cheap flights to Missouri
- Cheap flights to Utah
- Cheap flights to Oregon